In 1978 the Alyawarra and Kaytetye (pronounced “Kay-ditch”) claim was lodged for 1540 square kilometres of traditional land. Freehold title was granted in 1979 and held by the Alyawarra Aboriginal Land Trust.
In 1980 the Anmatjirra and Alyawarra land claim was successful in granting freehold title to the Utopia Pastoral lease.
A claim for 220 square kilometres of land on the Ooratippra station was lodged and title granted in 1991.
The Wakaya and Alyawarra Land Claim for the area around Hatches Creek was lodged.
The Governor General, the Honourable Bill Hayden personally officiated at the land title handback ceremony. 2065 square kilometres were handed back to the Alyawarra people.
The lease to the whole of Ooratippra station was bought by the Indigenous Land Corporation from its white owners. In May 2000 the lease title was transferred to the Ooratippra Land Corporation. Comprised of the Irrkwal, Irrmarn, Ntewerrek, Aharreng, Arrty/Amatyerr and Areyn estate groups of the Alyawarra language group, this meant they could run their own cattle business on their own land. A Native Title claim was also lodged for the property.